High Level Advisers' Code of Conduct
A. General Remarks
High Level Advisers members perform their responsibilities with integrity, honesty, objectivity, impartiality.
B. Communication and visibility
Accurate and truthful information is essential in contributing to informed decision making in order to enhance the ability of beneficiaries to design and implement their Europe integration related reform agenda.
High Level Advisers' Mission members shall:
- Preserve the integrity of the content and process of communication.
- Not speak in public on behalf of beneficiaries nor European Union.
- Inform in due time the project manager of all public events he/she is invited to attend or any media contacts/interactions solicited. All contacts with the news media and public appearances should be authorised in advance by the EU Delegation to Moldova.
- For public events, where the participation of the EU Delegation is required, the agenda for events including time for opening/welcome remarks by the representative of the EU Delegation must be submitted with at least a ten day notice, whenever possible.
- Act promptly to correct erroneous communications for which the adviser is responsible.
- Preserve the privacy and confidentiality of the information he/she gained official access to, at all times.
- Create and maintain up-to-date records on fulfilment of contractual obligations.
C. Conflicts of interest
High Level Advisers shall:
- Prevent and avoid any real, potential or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Avoid actions and circumstances that may appear to compromise good professional judgment.
- Disclose promptly any existing or potential conflict of interest.
No gifts and/or gratuities (e.g. use of government cars) from Government sources can be accepted.
Similarly, no gifts from a vendor or anyone having or seeking to have a contractual relationship with European Union can be accepted; such gifts should be returned with a polite note advising on European Union standards on gifts and entertainment.
An occasional gift of nominal value from a non-governmental source (below EUR 50) may be accepted, following the disclosure policies.
Project funds must not to be used to purchase gifts or to host social gatherings. Project resources are to be used for official purposes only.
D. Political Involvement and activities
High Level Advisers must not take part in national/local political activities in the Republic of Moldova, which may include but are not limited to:
- Holding office, in a political party or political organisation;
- Taking part in political parties’ formal and informal gatherings;
- Speaking in public on matters of national political controversy;
- Expressing views on such matters in letters to the Press, or in books, on blogs, in social media, articles or leaflets;
- Mediating or perceived as mediating between competing candidates/ parties and or members of different parties;
- Taking part in political controversy whether in speeches or letters to the Press, or in books, articles, leaflets, social media, blogs;
- Contributing to or canvassing on behalf of a candidate or on behalf of a political party.
E. Inter-personal and team communication
High Level Advisers treat colleagues and project staff with the highest level of courtesy and respect.
High Level Advisers are professional in their speech, actions and appearance and display respect for the opinions and ideas of fellow colleagues.
Any discrimination based on gender, colour, nationality, age, religion or disabilities is prohibited in the activities of the Mission.